This updated version of the iconic green bean casserole has 53% less sodium than its traditional counterpart. This version has beneficial omega-3 fatty acids as a result of the added walnuts.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil spread
- 4 ounces mushrooms, minced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fat-free half & half
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2/3 cup croutons, seasoned, crushed, whole grain
- 2/3 cup California walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or soy spread, melted
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- Melt spread in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Stir in flour; cook and stir for 5 minutes more. Slowly add stock and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in half & half and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook beans in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain well then add to mushroom sauce; toss to coat with mixture. Transfer to an 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- Stir together all topping ingredients until well blended and sprinkle around the edge of the beans.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.