Try something different for dessert! Pair this cool, refreshing medley of walnuts, fruit, citrus and spice with your favorite cheese.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon
- 1 cup Muscat wine
- 1 cup California walnuts finely chopped, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- In a small saucepan, over medium-high heat, bring water and sugar to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, whisk together applesauce, lemon juice, wine, cooled syrup, California walnuts and ginger. Refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours.
- Spoon mixture into a shallow plastic container (metal will cause mixture to turn grey); freeze until almost firm, about 2 hours.
- Break into chunks and transfer to airtight container and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
- Transfer to refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.