This is a prize-winning recipe in the I LOVE Walnuts! recipe contest submitted by Carole Resnick.
- 1 sheet puff pastry, 9 - 10 inches square and 1/4-inch thick, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped California walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 16 - 24 asparagus spears (2 or 3 per puff, depending on size)*
- 2 tablespoon walnut oil
- Preheat oven to 375? F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Roll pastry into a 10 x 4-inch rectangle about 1/4-inch thick. Cut into six (6) 5 x 2-inch rectangles. Place rectangles on prepared baking sheet and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, the Parmesan, the basil, the walnuts, the salt and the pepper. Mix well. Leaving a 1/2-inch boarder on each side spread 1/6 of the walnut mixture on each pastry. Place 2 - 3 asparagus spears on each dressed pastry rectangle (the thickness of the asparagus will determine how many spears are needed for each pastry.).
- Bake until pastry is puffed and golden and asparagus is soft, about 12 - 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
TIP: For variety use white asparagus or a combination of green and white.