A walnut Gremolata makes this delicious fresh asparagus dish a real treat!
- 1 pound asparagus spears (about 16-20 spears)
- ½ cup California walnuts
- ½ cup parsley sprigs, lightly packed
- 1 medium lemon, zested
- 1/8 teaspoon minced or pressed garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350?F.
- Finely chop walnuts to the size of rice grains, to make about 1/3 cup. Place on a dry baking sheet. Bake 5-7 minutes until lightly toasted, stirring once or twice. Cool.
- While the walnuts are toasting, prepare the asparagus. Rinse and trim tough ends from asparagus. Place in a wide skillet. Add cold water to nearly cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer uncovered 3-5 minutes, turning several times until asparagus is just barely tender. Drain and immediately rinse with cold water. Drain again and set aside.
- Rinse parsley and pat dry between sheets of paper towel. Finely chop to measure 1/4 cup. Place in a small bowl.
- Remove yellow part of lemon zest with a zester or fine grater. Add to parsley.
- Stir in cooled walnuts, garlic, salt and pepper.
- To serve, set out four salad plates. Place 4-5 asparagus spears on each plate. Top each bundle of spears with about 2 tablespoons of gremolata and serve.