Filled with the goodness of crunchy walnuts, this baked pear recipe is sure to be a holiday favorite.
- 8 pears, ripe and firm
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 6 tablespoons chopped California walnuts
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup simple syrup (recipe below)
- Recipe for Simple Syrup
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar Dash of Salt
- Combine the raisins, walnuts, sugar, and lemon juice in a small bowl, and mix well.
- Fill the cavity of each pear, dividing the filling equally.
- Place the pears upright in a deep baking dish, preferably with a cover.
- Mix together the water and simple syrup and pour into the baking dish.
- Cover the dish with its lid (or foil) and bake in a preheated 350F oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the pears are easily pierced with a fork.
- Serve warm or cold with some of the syrup spooned over each pear.
Recipe for Simple Syrup:
- Combine all ingredients in a large pan.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and put cover on it for 3 minutes to get sugar crystals off the sides of the pan.
- Uncover and cook until it reaches soft ball stage. Stir often
- Cool syrup