This delicious dessert features a walnut crust and filling for a wonderful toasted nut flavor complemented with fresh bananas and cream.
- 1/2 cup California walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, cold, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup California walnuts, chopped
- 2 bananas, large, firm-ripe
- 1 cup whipped cream, freshly made (start with 1/2 cup whipping cream)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch square tart pan with removable rim with cooking spray.
- Combine walnuts, both flours and granulated sugar in food processor. Whirl until walnuts are finely ground. Add butter and pulse until evenly mixed. Firmly pat mixture into tart pan. With a fork, prick bottom in several places to prevent puffing. Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in microwave in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl. Stir in brown sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt. Add walnuts.
- Pour walnut mixture over baked crust. Return to oven and bake additional 20-25 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch. Cool completely.
- Finish by slicing bananas 1/4-inch thick and arranging in an even layer on top of tart. Spread whipped cream over bananas. Refrigerate until serving or up to 24 hours. Cut into 9 pieces and serve.