Hearty barley paired with crunchy walnuts and sweet pears makes for a delicious side dish that everyone is sure to love!
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup peeled and cored ripe pear, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2/3 cup chopped California walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh parsley
- Cook shallots in a medium skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes or until softened. Add barley; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in spices and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes or until barley is tender and chewy.
- Stir in pear and cook for 5 minutes or until pear is tender; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in walnuts and parsley. Makes 4 servings.