Walnuts and Gorgonzola are a classic flavor pairing, here this dynamic duo shine in irresistible mini-burgers!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 cups finely chopped button mushrooms
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb 10% fat ground beef
- 4 oz Gorgonzola (or blue cheese), divided into 16 portions
- 32 California walnut halves
- 16 small dinner rolls (or 2, 24-inch baguettes, sliced into 8 equal portions, then sliced horizontally)
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat and sauté bacon until just cooked but not crisp.
- Add shallots and cook until translucent. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until water evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and let cool. Add salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and egg to mixture. Add beef and gently mix by hand until all ingredients are incorporated, without overmixing.
- Divide mixture into 16 equal portions. Form into thick patties, about 1-1/2 inches thick and 2-1/2 inches in diameter, tucking a piece of cheese and 2 walnut halves into the centre of each patty.
- Grill patties on medium-high heat until cooked to preferred doneness. Serve in small dinner rolls or between baguette slices with desired condiments.