This salad with crunchy walnuts is for real blue cheese lovers. Pair with a grilled steak and boiled baby red skin potatoes for a classic steak house meal.
For The Roquefort Dressing:
- 1/4 cup Roquefort cheese
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Juice of two limes
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Pinch black pepper
For The Salad:
- 4 heads Belgian endive
- 1/4 cup cranberries, dried
- 1/2 cup California walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup Roquefort dressing, prepared*
For the Roquefort dressing:
- Melt Roquefort cheese in the oven or in a pan on top of the stove, being very careful not to scorch. Let cool.
- In a bowl, combine the melted cheese, mayonnaise, buttermilk, juice of two limes, Worcestershire Sauce, cayenne, red wine vinegar, and black pepper; mix well until all ingredients are combined. If desired, add an additional 2 ounces of Roquefort cheese for an even more intense flavor.
For the salad:
- Trim the base of the endive using a diagonal cut, then separate the leaves
- Toss the cranberries, nuts and Roquefort together in a bowl, being careful not to break up the Roquefort too much.
- Spoon the mixture into the endive leaves and garnish with the watercress. For advance preparation: Fill the Belgian endive leaves up to three hours before, cover and chill. Garnish just before serving. Drizzle with Roquefort Salad Dressing, as desired.
Recipe provided courtesy of Chefs Greg and David Vartarian