Walnuts give these baked beans a nice crunch. Great for any outdoor menu, try it with grilled veggies and chicken breast.
- 3 (15-ounce) cans navy beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 medium red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup grainy prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 (15-ounce) can low sodium diced tomatoes
- Minced flat leaf parsley
- Minced California walnuts, lightly toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Empty the cans of beans into a colander in the sink. Rinse thoroughly and set aside to drain.
- Place a large (10 to 12-inch) skillet over medium heat and wait about a minute. Add the olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the onion, spices, and half the salt, and cook, stirring often, over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the carrots, garlic, and bell pepper, plus the remaining salt. Stir to blend, then cover, turn the heat down to medium-low, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Stir in the mustard, molasses, and vinegar. Cook for 1 minute, then pour in the canned tomatoes with all their liquid. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and gently stir in the beans (careful not to break them).
- Transfer to a 9 X 13-inch baking pan, and cover it tightly with foil. Bake undisturbed for 45 minutes.
- Serve hot, topped with parsley and walnuts.