Simple, light and delicious, this recipe combines fresh herbs and spices that perfectly complement the rich buttery flavor of the fish. The combination of walnuts and crème fraîche add a unique and crunchy twist to a delicately spiced, classic meal.
- 1 cup California walnut pieces, coarsely chopped
- 4 teaspoon crème fraîche
- 2 teaspoon walnut or olive oil
- 3 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cups tarragon, fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon capers, chopped
- 4-5-ounce pieces black cod
- 4 potatoes, small, thinly sliced
- 20 asparagus spears, trimmed
*For assembly, you will need 4 circles of parchment paper, each 15 inches in diameter.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a bowl, combine walnuts, crème fraîche, walnut oil, Dijon, vinegar, tarragon, and capers. Set aside.
- Fold one parchment round in half and unfold. Spread one sliced potato in the center of the bottom half of parchment. Place five asparagus spears on top of the potato, and then lay the black cod on the asparagus.
- Spoon 1/4 of the walnut mixture on top of the cod and fold the top half of parchment over. Seal edges by twisting and pressing the edges together in a half moon pattern. Repeat this step with the three remaining pieces of cod.
- Place parchment packets on a baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the parchment is lightly browned and puffy.
- Remove from the oven and carefully cut a slit in the top of the packets, tearing back edges to reveal fish.
Tip: This creamy walnut sauce can be served on top of chicken breasts or turkey. It also makes for a delicious vegetable dip.