The tartness of lemons complements the sweet subtle taste of walnuts in this quick bread recipe. The addition of blueberries offers a colorful antioxidant boost.
For The Bread:
- 1 cup California walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
*TIPS: Leftover buttermilk can be frozen for future use. If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw before adding to the recipe.
For the Glaze:
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
For The Bread:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a dry skillet, toast walnuts over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, lemon zest, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, melted butter and oil. Whisk just to combine.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Add liquid ingredients and mix gently just to combine; do not over-mix. Gently fold in walnuts and blueberries.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 8 x 4-inch loaf pan. Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on rack for 20 minutes; remove from pan, cool to room temperature.
For The Glaze:
- combine sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat and continue stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Brush glaze over bread while still warm.