A family favorite, this hearty chili with toasted walnuts is sure to warm you up without weighing you down.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, medium-large, chopped
- 1 carrot, large, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 pound turkey breast, 99% lean, ground
- 1 bell pepper, small, red or yellow, minced
- 2 cans red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, chopped or crushed
- 1 1/2 cups California walnuts, lightly toasted, chopped
- Parsley, flat leaf, chopped
- Heat olive oil in large, deep pan. Add onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add carrot, salt, and spices, and sauté until spices are toasted. Crumble in the ground turkey breast, and sprinkle in the minced bell pepper and cook until the turkey breast is cooked through and becomes white and opaque.
- Add the beans and tomatoes, and stir gently so as not to break the beans. Bring to a boil then lower heat and cook, partly covered, over medium-low heat for another 20 minutes.
- Serve hot, topped with a sprinkling of walnuts and parsley.