A family favorite, this hearty chili with toasted walnuts is sure to warm you up without weighing you down. This updated version calls for ground lean turkey instead of ground beef making it a lighter alternative to the traditional version.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 pound 99% lean ground turkey breast
- 1 small red or yellow bell pepper, minced
- 2 cans red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 (28-ounce) can chopped or crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped California walnuts, lightly toasted
- Chopped flat leaf parsley
- Heat olive oil in large, deep pan. Add onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add carrot, salt, and spices, and sauté until spices are toasted. Crumble in the ground turkey breast, and sprinkle in the minced bell pepper and cook until the turkey breast is cooked through and becomes white and opaque.
- Add the beans and tomatoes, and stir gently so as not to break the beans. Bring to a boil then lower heat and cook, partly covered, over medium-low heat for another 20 minutes.
- Serve hot, topped with a sprinkling of walnuts and parsley.