This dish packs a flavorful punch! Chopped walnuts add depth to this colorful and festive side.
For the Walnut and Red Pepper Relish:
- 2 red bell peppers, brushed with extra-virgin olive oil and seasoned with salt
- 1 cup chopped California walnuts
- 3 pickled peppadew peppers, finely chopped
- 1 pickled red cherry pepper, stem and seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Broccolini:
- 4 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 24 stalks broccolini
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat broiler on high.
- Place bell peppers on baking sheet under broiler, and broil for 5 minutes on all sides. This will take 20-25 minutes. The skins will become charred and the flesh soft.
- Place peppers in a glass bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let cool at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile toast walnuts in a sauté pan over medium heat for 7-8 minutes, shaking the pan often to prevent burning. When fragrant and toasted, finely chop.
- Slice cooled peppers lengthwise in half, and remove skin, ribs, and seeds. Finely dice, and toss with walnuts, peppadews, red cherry pepper, olive oil, red wine vinegar, and salt. Set aside at room temperate.
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a stockpot. Set a bowl of ice water to the side.
- Trim 1" from the end of the broccolini stem and discard. Blanch for 1 minute, and shock in ice water until chilled. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Arrange broccolini on a serving dish, top with roasted pepper relish, and crumbled feta. Serve family style at room temperature.
*NOTE: 3/4 cup finely diced jarred roasted red peppers can be substituted for roasting your own. Relish can be refrigerated for one week.