This side dish is perfect for any winter meal. This wonderful vegetable pairs equally well with fowl, pork and beef. Cindy prepares this recipe with Chicken Roulade and the Walnut and Currant Cornbread Stuffing with Madeira and Chanterelle Mushroom Sauce.
- 2 tablespoons butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3/4 pound Brussels sprouts, cored and separated into leaves or shredded
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock (low sodium is preferred)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup California walnuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
- Over medium heat, sauté the onions in butter or extra virgin olive oil for about 10 minutes until brown. Add the white wine and continue cooking until the liquid is reduced by half. Toss in the Brussels sprouts, adding stock until the leaves are tender and wilted. Continue to cook over low heat until the liquid has evaporated, being careful not to burn the vegetables.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add in the walnuts and toss to combine with the vegetables.
- Serve on a warm platter.