Try serving this colorful, flavor rich salad with toasted walnuts at your next turkey dinner.
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash or pumpkin
- 1 cup young tender arugula (rocket) leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped California walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup fat-free salad dressing
- In a saucepan, compbine the Brussels sprouts, apple juice and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook just until the sprouts are tender yet firm when pierced at the base, about 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Cut pumpkin flesh or butternut squash into cubes and roast in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. Put aside in a bowl.
- Cut the Brussels sprouts lengthwise into thin slices. Add the slices to the pumpkin cubes or butternut squash and mix them gently together with fat-free dressing.
- Divide the arugula among individual plates. Spoon the vegetables over the arugula and garnish with the chopped walnuts.
- Serve while still warm.