This is a crowd pleaser for chicken fans of all ages!
- 1 1/2 cups (about 6 ounces) cooked chicken breast strips, cut in pieces 1-2 inches long
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded or cut into bite-sized pieces (6 – 7 cups total), OR 1 bag (10 – 12 ounces) Romaine lettuce salad mix
- 3 ribs celery, sliced in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup blue cheese dressing*
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped Fiery Hot Cheddar Walnuts
- 1/2 cup Fiery Hot Cheddar Walnuts, in halves or large pieces
*Note: Check out the salad dressing aisle, as well as the refrigerated case, for an assortment of blue cheese dressings. The refrigerated dressings, in general, tend to be thicker, and richer in texture than the non-refrigerated ones. Either type will work in this recipe. If you want a yogurt-based alternative that’s lower in fat, see the suggestion that follows.
- In a small bowl combine the chicken with the Tabasco and paprika and toss to coat the chicken evenly with the seasonings. Set aside.
- In a large bowl toss the lettuce with the celery. Add the dressing and crumbled blue cheese and continue to toss the salad until the lettuce is coated with dressing. Add the chopped walnuts and toss just to combine. If you wish, transfer the salad to a large platter for serving. Arrange the spicy chicken strips and the large walnut pieces on top of the salad.
*Variation: To prepare the salad in wrap form, spread four 9 – 10-inch wraps (or large, soft flour tortillas), each with 1 tablespoon of additional blue cheese dressing. Mound the dressed lettuce and celery mix across the center of each tortilla, then top with the halves or pieces of fiery hot walnuts and the spicy chicken strips. Fold the sides of the wrap in slightly, then roll tightly to enclose the filling. Cut the wrap in half on a diagonal slant.