This grain salad gets a boost of flavor and crunch with the addition of toasted walnuts.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups bulgur, medium cut
- 3/4 cup yellow onions, minced
- 2 cups water, hot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted, ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 cup green onions, minced
- 1 cup California walnut pieces, toasted
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, minced
*Optional Garnish: 2 ounces French feta cheese, crumbled
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low; add the bulgur and onion. Cook, stirring, until the bulgur grains are coated with oil, toasted, fragrant and uniformly brown, about 20 minutes. Add the hot water and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low; cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook until just tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat; allow to sit 20 minutes. Allow to come to room temperature. Place the bulgur in a medium mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, put the lentils in a small saucepot and cover with 2 inches of cold water. Add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook the lentils until tender. Remove from the heat; drain; place in a shallow pan. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cool to room temperature. You can speed up the process and put into the refrigerator. In a small bowl place all of the vinaigrette ingredients. Whisk to combine. When the lentils have cooled a bit, add to the bulgur, along with the vinaigrette, green onions, walnuts and parsley. Mix well. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve at room temperature. Garnish with the feta cheese if you wish!