You won't miss the butter or sour cream with this flavorful mash served in its own jacket. Eat them plain or punch up the flavor with the addition of optional flavorings.
- 1 cup buttermilk, low-fat, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper, ground
- Parsley sprigs or chives, for garnish
- 4 (8-ounce) Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed
- 1-2 teaspoons horseradish, prepared
- 4 teaspoons chives, minced
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Prick each potato a few times with the tip of a sharp knife. Arrange the potatoes directly on the oven rack, in the center of the oven, and bake until tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, salt and pepper. Stir in one of the optional flavorings; set aside.
- Cut the hot potatoes in half and using a small spoon, carefully scoop out the pulp into a medium-size mixing bowl, taking care not to tear the skins. Set the skins aside.
- Using a hand-held potato masher, mash the potatoes thoroughly, gradually adding the buttermilk. Divide the filling evenly among the potato skins and garnish with parsley or chives. Serve hot with Miracle Makeover Meatloaf!