I have taken this walnut coffee cake to several potlucks and coffees with friends it is always well received.
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon, divided
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together into a large bowl flour, sugars, 1 tsp of cinnamon, salt and ginger. Stir in orange zest and oil until mixture is moist. Reserve ¾ cup of the flour mixture in a small bowl, set aside (save for topping).
- Stir baking powder and baking soda into main flour mixture. Beat together buttermilk and egg. Add to cake batter and mix until just combine (do not over mix). Pour batter into a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Combine reserved flour mixture with walnuts and remaining cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over cake batter.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until center springs back or toothpick comes out clean when inserted in middle.
Cool completely before serving.