I have taken this walnut coffee cake to several potlucks and coffees with friends and it is always well received.
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, freshly grated
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup California walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Sift together into a large bowl flour, sugars, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, salt and ginger. Stir in orange zest and oil until mixture is moist. Reserve 3/4 cup of the flour mixture in a small bowl, set aside (save for topping).
- Stir baking powder and baking soda into main flour mixture. Beat together buttermilk and egg. Add to cake batter and mix until just combined (do not over mix). Pour batter into a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Combine reserved flour mixture with walnuts and remaining cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over cake batter.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until center springs back or toothpick comes out clean when inserted in middle. Cool completely before serving.