Spicy foods are a must-have for the cold weather season. The mix of Cajun spices in this recipe gives the perfect kick to warm your tastebuds on a cold winter day. To reflect their feisty personality, these walnuts can be given in homemade poppers, which can be customized with different holiday colors and prints. Prepare them a day ahead if possible, as the flavors blend and mellow overnight.
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons herbs, mixed, dried
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups California walnut halves and pieces
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat a large, shallow baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix egg white, garlic salt, dried herbs, cayenne pepper and paprika with a whisk or fork until blended.
- Add California walnut halves and pieces and toss until they are evenly coated, then spread on the prepared baking pan. Bake 16-18 minutes, stirring once after about 8 minutes, until the walnuts look dry and toasted. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container. Makes 2 cups.