The mix of Cajun spices in this recipe gives the perfect kick to warm your taste buds. To reflect their feisty personality, these walnuts can be given in homemade poppers, which can be customized with different colors and patterns. Prepare them a day ahead if possible, as the flavors blend and mellow overnight.
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons herbs, mixed, dried
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups California walnut halves and pieces
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat a large, shallow baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix egg white, garlic salt, dried herbs, cayenne pepper and paprika with a whisk or fork until blended.
- Add California walnut halves and pieces and toss until they are evenly coated, then spread on the prepared baking pan. Bake 16-18 minutes, stirring once after about 8 minutes, until the walnuts look dry and toasted. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container. Makes 2 cups.