A spicy kick makes these spiced walnuts a perfect pre-dinner nibble with drinks. Prepare them a day ahead if you can, as the flavors blend and mellow overnight.
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mixed dried herbs
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups California walnut halves and pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a large, shallow baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix egg white, garlic salt, dried herbs, cayenne pepper and paprika with a whisk or fork until blended.
- Add California walnut halves and pieces and toss until they are evenly coated, then spread on the prepared baking pan. Bake 16-18 minutes, stirring once after about 8 minutes, until the walnuts look dry and toasted. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container. Makes 2 cups.