This topping is a great addition to casseroles, purées and baked dishes of all kinds!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 heaping cup finely minced California walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (scant measure)
- Few dashes cayenne (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-low heat. When it is warm, add the spices and stir until they are completely coated.
- Add the walnuts and salt, and keep stirring until everything is evenly distributed.
- Stir and cook over medium-low heat for another 5 to 8 minutes or so (until the walnuts are toasty). Be careful not to burn them!
- Stir in cayenne to taste, if desired, and remove from heat. When cool, store in a tightly closed jar in the refrigerator until use.