This chunky, chilled tomato-based soup topped with herbed walnuts, is a wonderful accompaniment to grilled cheese or panini sandwiches.
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 5) tomatoes, ripe, peeled chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, red or green, small, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 1/2 slices white bread, torn in pieces
- Salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce, to taste (optional)
- 4 tortillas, flour, low-fat (for serving)
- Herbed Walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, garlic, onion, vinegar, tomato juice and bread.
- Process the soup in batches in a food processor or blender just until it is coarsely puréed--it should not be too smooth.
- Return the soup to the large bowl, cover, and chill thoroughly. Before serving, if the soup seems too thick, stir in some tomato juice.
- Season with salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce to taste, if desired.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with Herbed Walnuts and serve with tortilla.