- 6 cups whipping cream
- 3 cups California walnuts, toasted 9 oz
- 3 tbsp walnut oil
- 18 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 or 2 vanilla beans, split and scraped
- 1/2 cup Glazed Walnuts California walnuts
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- 1 cup granulated sugar, for caramelizing
- Combine cream, walnuts and walnut oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Heat to 200° F. Remove from heat and let stand 20 minutes to allow infusion of walnut flavour. Strain through a fine mesh strainer and keep warm. Discard walnuts.
- Beat egg yolks, sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl until pale and thick. Strain through a fine mesh strainer. Gradually pour cream into egg mixture, whisking until combined.
- Pour mixture into 15 6-oz ramekins. Place ramekins in a large baking pan; pour boiling water into the pan to halfway up sides. Bake at 300° F about 50 to 60 minutes, or until custard is just set. Remove from oven and set ramekins on a rack to cool slightly. Transfer to refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Glazed Walnuts
- Place walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat. Stir a few minutes until fragrant. Stir maple syrup into walnuts and cook until well coated and syrup is absorbed, 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Transfer to parchment paper-lined tray to cool. Dust lightly with icing sugar. Just before serving, sprinkle 1 tbsp sugar on each ramekin. Using a kitchen torch or oven broiler to brown and caramelize sugar. Immediately top with a glazed walnut.