These tasty crescent shaped treats are made with California walnuts, a cream cheese pastry and filled with marmalade and spices. Rugelachs are a regular at Hanukkah and New Year celebrations.
For the Pastry:
- 1 pkg (8oz/250 g) light cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
For the Filling:
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped California walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger and cardamom
- 3/4 cup apricot marmalade
For the Topping:
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp coarse sugar
For the Pastry:
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy; beat in sugar. Stir in flour until well combined. Form into a ball; cut into 4 pieces and shape into discs. Wrap individually in plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before rolling. Filling: In small bowl, stir together walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and cardamom.
- On lightly floured surface, roll each disc into an 11-inch circle, about 1/4 inch thick. Spread 3 tbsp marmalade over top; sprinkle with 1/4 of the walnut mixture. Cut into 12 wedges. Starting from the wide end, roll up each wedge to form a crescent roll. Place each crescent two inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Beat egg lightly; brush over each crescent and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in 350°F oven until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes before transferring to rack to cool completely.