Dark chocolate and walnuts make these macaroons extra special for the holidays. Inspired by traditional German macaroons, this light treat is made of meringue and walnuts, and each macaroon is topped with decadent dark chocolate.
For the Cookie:
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar or pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups California walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, chopped
For the Drizzle:
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate , chopped
- 1 tbsp whipping cream
- 1 cup California walnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In bowl beat egg whites with salt, using a hand mixer on medium high speed; gradually add sugar and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in walnuts and chocolate.
- Fill pastry bag fitted with a 1-inch round tip with dough and for each cookie pipe about 1 tbsp of dough onto non-stick or parchment lined cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake on middle rack for about 15 minutes, until cookies are puffed and tops appear dry. Let cool one minute in pan and transfer to rack to cool completely. Meanwhile, add chocolate and cream in bowl and melt in microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir until completely smooth. Pour melted chocolate into a plastic freezer bag and cut a small hole from the bottom tip of the bag to create a makeshift piping bag.
- Drizzle chocolate over macaroons and sprinkle with walnuts.