Creamy cheese truffles harmonize with the pungent taste of olive and crunchy coating of California walnuts. This dish can be served as a starter or main course with a mixture of flatbreads for taste and presentation.
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomatoes, sun-dried, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, fresh, minced
- 36 olives, kalamata, pitted
- 1 1/2 cups California walnuts, toasted
- 12 oregano sprigs, fresh (for garnish)
- Combine cheeses, sundried tomatoes, lemon rind and oregano. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Scoop one tablespoon of cheese mixture and pat around one olive forming a ball. Repeat until 36 balls are formed.
- Chop walnuts in food processor until finely chopped; transfer to a shallow pan. Roll each ball in walnuts to coat. Refrigerate.
- At serving time, place 3 cheese truffles in a martini glass or on a plate; garnish with a sprig of fresh oregano. Serve with flatbreads or crostini.
Tip: Cheese truffles can be stored in refrigerator up to 2 days before serving.