This crunchy, sweet walnut granola makes for a great breakfast, topping for yogurt or easy snack. Add dried blueberries to boost color and antioxidants.
- 4 cups oats, quick cooking (not instant), rolled
- 2 cups wheat bran, natural
- 1 1/2 cups California walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup liquid honey
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups raisins (or dried cranberries, chopped dried apples, apricots or other mixed dried fruit)
- Fresh fruit for garnish, as desired
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- In a large bowl, stir together rolled oats, bran and walnuts.
- In a small microwaveable bowl, combine honey and vanilla; microwave on high for about 20 seconds or more until runny. Stir to mix; pour over dry ingredients and toss to coat well.
- Spread granola evenly in a large shallow baking pan and bake in 300° F oven for about 30 minutes, or until golden, stirring two or three times.
- Cool completely; granola will crisp as it cools.
- Stir in raisins or other dried fruit; store in airtight container.