This classic treat is made with pure maple syrup and is chock full of California walnuts.
- Pastry for 12 Tarts
For the Filling:
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup coarsely chopped California walnuts
- On lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into twelve 3 3/4-inch rounds; press into large tart pans.
- In medium bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat in maple syrup. Fold in walnuts and immediately spoon into tart shells.
- Bake in 375°F oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is set. For a runnier filling, use shorter cooking time. Let cool in pan for a few minutes, then remove to rack to cool completely.