Satisfy everyone's sweet tooth with these delicious Carrot Walnut Cupcakes. Unfrosted, they are perfect for a quick breakfast or treat.
- 2-1/2 cups grated carrot (about 2 whole carrots)
- 1-1/2 cups California walnut pieces
- 1 cup diced pineapple, fresh or canned
- 2 cups flour, divided
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup soft unsalted butter
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- *Optional Easter Garnish
- Shredded Wheat Nests with California Walnut Marzipan Eggs
- 2 large pieces shredded wheat
- 3 tbsp golden corn syrup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 oz marzipan or almond paste
- 2 tbsp ground California walnuts
- Food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cupcakes: In a large bowl, combine carrot, walnuts, pineapple and 1/2 cup flour. Mix and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift the remaining flour and combine with cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and sugar and whip with a hand mixer until just combined, then slowly add the vegetable oil, while whipping, until emulsified.
- Fold the flour mixture into the egg batter until well combined, then stir in the carrot, walnut and pineapple mix.
- Line cupcake tins with liners and fill with batter, filling about three-quarters full. Bake for 20 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Transfer to rack; let cool.
- Lemon Buttercream Frosting: Combine the butter, sugar, lemon juice and zest and vanilla in a stand mixer and whip until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Makes 24 cupcakes.
Tip: This recipe works well as a cake. Simply pour batter into a round 10-inch (2.6 L) cake pan and place in a 350°F oven for 1 hour or until cake tester inserted into centre comes out clean. Transfer to rack; let cool and cover with frosting (same amount as used for the cupcakes).
*Optional Easter Garnish:
- Break the shredded wheat into small pieces in a bowl and set aside.
- In a small pan over low heat, add syrup and butter. Cook until butter is melted. Pour onto the shredded wheat and mix to coat. Let cool until warm enough to form into 1-inch nests.
- Knead marzipan with ground walnuts until well mixed. Divide the marzipan into three parts and add desired food colouring. Form into small eggs. Rest eggs in nests and place gently atop cupcakes.