Satisfy everyone's sweet tooth with these delicious Carrot Walnut Cupcakes. Unfrosted, they are perfect for a quick breakfast or treat.
- 2 1/2 cups carrot (about 2 whole carrots), grated
- 1 1/2 cups California walnut pieces
- 1 cup pineapple, fresh or canned, diced
- 2 cups flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter, unsalted, soft
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional Easter Garnish
Shredded Wheat Nests with California Walnut Marzipan Eggs
- 2 large pieces shredded wheat
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup, golden
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces marzipan or almond paste
- 2 tablespoons California walnuts, ground
- Food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cupcakes: In a large bowl, combine carrots, walnuts, pineapple and 1/2 cup flour. Mix and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift the remaining flour and combine with cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and sugar and whip with a hand mixer until just combined, then slowly add the vegetable oil, while whipping, until emulsified.
- Fold the flour mixture into the egg batter until well combined, then stir in the carrots, walnuts and pineapple mix.
- Line cupcake tins with liners and fill with batter, filling about three-quarters full. Bake for 20 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer to rack; let cool.
- Lemon Buttercream Frosting: Combine the butter, sugar, lemon juice and zest and vanilla in a stand mixer and whip until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
Tip: This recipe works well as a cake. Simply pour batter into a round 10-inch (2.6 L) cake pan and place in a 350° F oven for 1 hour or until cake tester inserted into center comes out clean. Transfer to rack; let cool and cover with frosting (same amount as used for the cupcakes).
Optional Easter Garnish
- Break the shredded wheat into small pieces in a bowl and set aside.
- In a small pan over low heat, add syrup and butter. Cook until butter is melted. Pour onto the shredded wheat and mix to coat. Let cool until warm enough to form into 1-inch nests.
- Knead marzipan with ground walnuts until well mixed. Divide the marzipan into three parts and add desired food coloring. Form into small eggs. Rest eggs in nests and place gently atop cupcakes.