Cindy suggests Walnut and Pepper Relish or a drizzle of olive oil and walnuts to garnish!
- 1 tablespoon butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 leek, sliced, washed well
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled, sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine, dry
- 2 cups celery root, peeled and diced, kept in acidulated water until ready to use to prevent discoloration (3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice mixed in 1 quart of water--drain the celery root before using)
- 3/4-1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 3-4 cups chicken or vegetable stock (low sodium preferred)
- 1 cup potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Six tablespoons Walnut and Pepper Relish (see recipe), or a drizzle of olive oil and 1/4 cup California walnuts, toasted, chopped
- Melt the butter or olive oil and sweat the onions and leeks for 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking until tender, but not browning (use low heat). Add the wine and cook until it is almost dry.
- Add the celery root, potatoes, salt, pepper, and stock and simmer until all the vegetables are tender. Add additional stock or water if it reduces too much. You can cook covered as well.
- Using a blender, food processor, or immersion blender, blend until pureed adding the cream as you blend.
- To serve, heat the soup and divide among six bowls. Serve with a tablespoon of the Walnut and Pepper Relish swirled into the soup. Alternatively, simply drizzle each soup with a bit of olive oil, and a few teaspoons of chopped, toasted walnuts.