This charred onion mascarpone dipping sauce pairs perfectly with the Eggplant and Walnut Pies, making it a delicious snack or appetizer.
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 red onion, medium, sliced into 1-inch rings
- 1 cup mascarpone, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Gently toss onion rings in the balsamic mixture, and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet, making sure they don't overlap. Drizzle remaining balsamic mixture over them.
- Roast onion rings for 20 minutes, gently tossing after 10 minutes. You will get a nice char on the onions.
- Let onions cool to room temperature. Pulse in a food processor for a few seconds, or finely dice by hand. Do not over-process them into a pulp.
- Stir together charred onions, mascarpone, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and chives.
- Serve at room temperature with Eggplant and Walnut Pies, garnish with chopped walnuts if desired.