This charred onion mascarpone dipping sauce pairs perfectly with the Eggplant and Walnut Pies, making it a delicious snack or appetizer.
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into 1” rings
- 1 cup mascarpone, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts to garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Gently toss onion rings in the balsamic mixture, and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet, making sure they don’t overlap. Drizzle remaining balsamic mixture over them.
- Roast onion rings for 20 minutes, gently tossing after 10 minutes. You will get a nice char on the onions.
- Let onions cool to room temperature. Pulse in a food processor for a few seconds, or finely dice by hand. Do not over-process them into a pulp.
- Stir together charred onions, mascarpone, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and chives.
- Serve at room temperature with Eggplant and Walnut Pies, garnish with chopped walnuts if desired.
*Please note, nutritional information below reflects one serving of the Eggplant and Walnut Pies with Charred Onion Mascarpone. The nutritional information listed for the Eggplant and Walnut Pies and Charred Onion Mascarpone each reflect that recipe as it stands alone. The below does not contain nutrition information for the entertaining suggestion of the Eggplant and Walnut Pies.