The walnut emulsion is the perfect fall sauce to drizzle over your choice of poultry. Chef Touhy prefers it with duck as seen in the picture!
- 2 cups California walnuts, in halves or large pieces, toasted
- 2 tablespoons (about 1 ounce) anchovies, packed in oil, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup water, plus more if needed
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (more or less) kosher salt, or 1/4 teaspoon plain salt
- Put the walnuts in a food processor with the anchovies, water, vinegar and walnut oil. Blend until smooth, stopping a couple times to scrape down the sides of the container with a rubber spatula. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in olive oil.
- The puree should be the consistency of a softly whipped cream, not walnut butter. If it seems too thick, add a little more water and pulse or blend until incorporated.
- Season to taste with salt. If not using immediately, refrigerate in a covered container.