"This dense, moist and chewy chocolate bread with walnuts has become a Christmas tradition. It is perfect for a brunch, for afternoon coffee, or to bring into the office to share as a holiday treat. Nothing says holidays like walnuts and chocolate, and the bright red cherries make it festive." - Cindy Beberman
- 2/3 cup dried tart cherries
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup, plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream or low-fat sour cream
- 1 large, very ripe banana, mashed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped California walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Soak dried cherries in very hot water for about 15 minutes and drain thoroughly prior to chopping them. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs until smooth. Beat in sour cream, banana and vanilla until blended. In a separate medium bowl, combine dry ingredients; add to banana mixture beating on low speed until just mixed. Fold in nuts and chopped cherries.
- Spread batter into 9 x 5-inch loaf pan that has been coated with nonstick spray, and bake about 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack. Store in a sealed plastic bag in fridge or freezer.