Baked ahead of time, these nutrition-packed walnut trail bars are the perfect snack for long trips, hikes or even work commutes.
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped California walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup honey
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F. In bowl, whisk together oats, brown sugar, flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Stir in walnuts, cherries, chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds, coconut and sesame seeds; set aside.
- In food processor, process apricots until broken up, about 1 minute. Add butter, process until a paste forms, about 1 minute. With motor running, pour in honey until well blended. Fold into oat mixture until well combined. Pat evenly into a parchment-lined 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Bake in the center of oven until golden, about 30 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely.
- Cut into bars (2x12 rows or 8x3 rows)