"Some people think traditions need to be ornate and formal, like holiday dinners. This combination of fruit, walnuts, and curry gives an ordinary chicken salad a new twist."
- 4 cups chicken, diced, cooked
- 1 cup coconut, grated
- 1 (8-ounce) can pineapple tidbits
- 2 cups grapes, seedless, halved
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups California walnuts, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise, light
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- To make the salad, put the chicken, coconut, pineapple, grapes and water chestnuts in a large bowl. Toss to mix well.
- To make the dressing, mix the mayonnaise, curry powder, lemon juice and soy sauce in a small bowl. Stir until well blended.
- Just before serving, stir the dressing into the salad and blend evenly. Add the walnuts, mix again and serve.