Cindy stuffs this roulade with a Walnut and Currant Cornbread Stuffing.
- 3 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 7-8 thin slices of bacon or pancetta
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups of stuffing, such as Walnut Currant Cornbread Stuffing and top with Madeira and Chanterelle Mushroom Sauce
- Place the boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a gallon sized plastic bag and sprinkle with a little cold water. The water helps the breasts retain their shape. Gently pound the breasts with a mallet to an even thickness, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Pat dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Place a sheet of aluminum foil about 18 inches long on a flat surface in a vertical position. Lay the bacon side by side, horizontally, in the center of the aluminum.
- Fit the pounded chicken breasts side by side on top of the bacon to form a layer in the shape of a rectangle.
- Take about 2 1/2 to 3 cups of your stuffing of choice and press it onto the bottom third of the chicken breasts layer. Taking the bottom edge of the foil, roll the foil tightly so that the bacon, chicken breasts and stuffing form a cylinder. The stuffing is in the center, the chicken is the middle layer, the bacon is the outer layer against the foil. Twist the ends so that the contents are wrapped completely by the foil. Chill for 1 to 2 hours.
- In an oil-less, hot sauté pan or griddle pan, brown the foil wrapped chicken on all sides, about 10 minutes. Place the foil wrapped cylinder in the oven seam side down, and roast at 375° F for 35 to 40 minutes or until an internal temperature of 140° F. Rest ten minutes in a warm oven before serving.
- Remove the foil from the heated roulade. Slice the roulade into 1/2 to 3/4 inch rounds and fan the slices.
An entertaining tip: If you’d like, pour a little warmed Madeira and Chanterelle Mushroom Sauce over the slices, reserving the remaining sauce in a warmed sauceboat for individual servings. Serve alongside Brussels Sprouts and Caramelized Onions.
Please note, nutritional information below reflects one serving of the Chicken Roulade with Walnut and Currant Cornbread Stuffing. The nutritional information listed for the Walnut and Currant Cornbread and Walnut and Currant Cornbread Stuffing each reflect that recipe as it stands alone. The below does not contain nutrition information for the entertaining suggestion of the Madeira and Chanterelle Mushroom Sauce.