Walnuts add a nice crunch to this hearty, one-dish meal that's great for a busy weeknight dinner.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 pound chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, reduced sodium
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, freshly grated, peeled (if desired)
- 3/4 cup California walnuts, chopped
- 1 (1 pound) bag stir-fry vegetables, mixed, thawed
- Salt and pepper to taste, if desired
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cups rice, cooked
- Cut the chicken into 1/2-inch cubes. Place in a large bowl and add the tomato sauce, soy sauce, cornstarch, sesame oil, and ginger root, if desired. Stir and toss until completely mixed. Set aside.
- Coat a wok or large skillet, preferably nonstick, with nonstick cooking spray and place over moderate heat. When hot, add the chicken mixture and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add the walnuts and vegetables and stir constantly for 2 minutes more, or until the chicken is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Transfer to a bowl or platter and sprinkle with the green onions.
- Serve over rice.