Proof that whole grains don't have to be boring, this salad has a mix of spicy and sweet flavors and with 1.14 grams of omega-3's per serving, it's heart-healthy too!
- 2 cups soft wheat berries, rinsed (about 12 ounces)
- Kosher Salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces carrots, small dice (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1 chopped chipotle en adobo plus 1 teaspoon chipotle en adobo sauce
- 1 cup toasted walnut halves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 scallions, light green and green parts thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley or cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Fill a medium saucepan with heavily salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in wheat berries, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until tender but still chewy, about 30 to 40 minutes. Drain and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet to cool. (Can be made through this step up to 4 days ahead. Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt, and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add carrots and a pinch of salt and cook until just softened but still retains some bite, about 5 minutes more. Stir in thyme and chipotle and sauce and cook until fragrant then remove from heat.
- Place wheat berries in a large, nonreactive bowl and add carrot mixture, nuts, and raisins. Whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, vinegar, and honey until honey is dissolved then stir into wheat berry mixture. Let salad marinate at least 15 minutes before serving or cover and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 24 hours. Just before serving, add the scallions and herbs.