The not-too-sweet chocolate flavor with a hint of orange zest, and the crunch of toasted California walnuts is a frozen treat that is sure to be a favorite.
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Dutch process, unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup California walnuts, finely chopped, toasted
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, bring water, sugar and cocoa powder to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until sugar is completely dissolved and cocoa is well blended, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until melted. Let cool completely.
- Stir in orange zest and walnuts.
- Cover and refrigerate until completely cold, about 4 hours.
- Spoon chilled chocolate into shallow metal pan; freeze until almost firm, about 3 hours.
- Break into chunks; purée in food processor. Pack into airtight container and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
- Alternatively, transfer chilled mixture to ice cream maker and prepare according to manufacturer’s instructions.