The chocolate ganache, Cointreau and walnut praline will transform your package of chocolate fudge cake mix into an elegant dessert in no time. Your guests will wonder when you had time to bake such a decadent dessert during the busy holiday season!
- 1 package two-layer chocolate fudge cake mix
For the Praline:
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 3 cups California walnuts, coarsely chopped
For the Chocolate Ganache:
- 2 cups real semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons Cointreau liqueur
- Bake cake in a 9x13-inch baking pan according to package instructions. Grease a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- In saucepan bring water and sugar to boil over medium heat. Cook, without stirring, brushing down sides of pan with a brush dipped in warm water to prevent crystallization.
- Cook about 18 minutes, until dark amber. Remove from heat immediately and stir in cream and walnuts. Spread onto prepared sheet and cool completely. Break into pieces and pulse in food processor until coarsely ground.
- In microwavable bowl, combine chocolate chips, cream and butter.Heat on high for 2 minutes, stirring twice, until melted and smooth. Slice cake in half lengthwise and then slice each half to make 4 layers that measure 4.5 x 12-inches. Brush 1 tablespoon of Cointreau on the bottom layer of cake. Spread 1/4 cup of chocolate ganache and sprinkle with 1/3 cup praline.
- Repeat twice; top with last layer of cake. Cover cake with remaining ganache and cover sides with praline. Refrigerate for 1 hour and up to one day before serving.