Bursting with flavor and color, this is great to share with a special someone on Valentine's Day!
- 1/2 navel orange, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 blood or Cara Cara orange, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 Ruby Red grapefruit, peeled and cut into supremes
- 1/2 white grapefruit, peeled and cut into supremes
- 4 tablespoons of the Walnut Ginger Honey Syrup
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut, toasted
For the Walnut Ginger Honey Syrup:
- 1/2 cup mild flavored (e.g. clover) honey
- 3/4 tablespoons finely minced peeled fresh ginger OR strips of orange zest from one large orange
- 3/4 cups California walnuts
- Prepare the citrus fruit and set aside. To make supremes, peel the grapefruit removing enough outer peel to expose the flesh. Use a paring knife to cut out each segment of fruit, leaving behind the tough casings that separate each segment. Divide citrus fruit evenly among four salad plates and set aside.
- Prepare the syrup. In a small saucepan, bring honey and ginger to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer over very low heat for 1 minute, being careful not to let the honey boil over. Remove from heat and stir in walnuts. Cool to room temperature.
- Toast the coconut by spreading the coconut evenly on a microwavable plate. Heat on high power 5 minutes stirring every 1-2 minutes until lightly toasted. Cool.
- When the syrup has cooled to room temperature drizzle 2 tablespoons on top of each serving of citrus fruit. Top with toasted coconut and serve.