Fresh and hot from the oven, this cornbread studded with cruncy walnuts is light, airy and delicious with nutty overtones from the toasted walnuts.
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup toasted finely chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels, chopped
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons walnut oil
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Grease a 12 muffin pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, walnuts, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs and walnut oil; mix well. Add to the cornmeal mixture and stir until just combined. Add the corn kernels and stir just to mix. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake until golden brown and the top springs back when you lightly touch it, about 15 minutes for muffins. Gently remove from the pan and serve hot!