A warm and sweet dessert for those chilly fall and winter months.
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled apple (any kind but red delicious)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- Salt (big pinch or 1/4 teaspoon)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup minced walnuts
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream
- Crème fraîche
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place the fruit in a medium-large bowl, and toss with 1 tablespoon flour, a big pinch of salt and the granulated sugar. Transfer to an ungreased medium-sized baking pan (8 or 9 inches square, or an oval or gratin pan with similar capacity).
- Use the same bowl to combine the 1 cup flour, brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Crumble it together with your fingers until mostly uniform, and then stir in the walnuts.
- Pour in the melted butter, and mix until evenly moistened.
- Distribute this mixture over the fruit, and pat it down gently, so that it falls into the crevices.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the top is golden and the fruit is tender and bubbly around the edges. Allow to cool for at least 10 to 15 minutes, then serve hot, warm or at room temperature, with the topping of your choice.