Try this smartened-up treat featuring California walnuts. Cranberry Pear Tartlets offer less saturated fat and sugar than traditional apple tartlets.
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 ripe pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 (2.1-oz.) boxes mini Fillo (Phyllo) shells, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped California walnuts
- Finely grated orange zest
This recipe offers 100% less saturated fat and 50% less sugar than a traditional apple tartlet. By using honey and natural fruits, this recipe replaces traditional large quantities of granulated sugar. No question about it, this dessert is a great alternative-and delicious too!
- Place cranberries, honey, allspice and cinnamon in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in pears and simmer for 10 minutes or until excess liquid has cooked off. Let cool, then spoon mixture into Fillo cups.
- Top with walnuts, then lightly grate orange zest over the top.