Delicious walnut biscotti that is just right for dunking in your morning latte or hot chocolate. A basket of these twice-baked crisp cookies makes a welcome gift.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange rind, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup California walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup cranberries, dried
- 1 egg white
- Granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- In medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In large mixing bowl, combine sugar and eggs. Beat with electric mixer on medium, scraping bowl often for 2 to 3 minutes, or until pale and thick. Add oil, orange juice and rind, and vanilla; beat 1 to 2 minutes, or until well mixed. Gradually add flour mixture; mix on low speed 1 to 2 minutes, or until well mixed. Stir in walnuts and cranberries.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface [dough is soft and sticky]. Lightly sprinkle with additional flour; knead flour into dough. With floured hands, shape into two 8 x 2-inch logs. Place 3 inches apart on greased or parchment-covered baking sheet. Flatten tops slightly. Combine egg white and water; brush on logs. Sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned and firm to the touch. Let cool on baking sheet 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F. With serrated knife, cut logs diagonally into 1/2-inch slices; arrange slices cut-side-down on baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Remove to wire rack; let cool completely.