The best way to get kids to eat their greens is to put them in a shake or a smoothie. And what better way to start the day than with a shake made with soaked walnuts.
- 2/3 cup California walnuts, raw
- 2 cups water, boiling
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 heaping cup kale, washed, ribs removed and chopped
- 1 pear, ripe, juicy, peeled, cored, chilled
- 2 bananas, ripe, cut in pieces, frozen
- 2/3 cup yogurt, plain
- 1 to 2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
- 1/4 cup ice, as needed
- Pour boiling water over the walnuts and add a pinch of salt. Let them set at least 2 hours and up to overnight. In the morning, drain the walnuts. Blend the walnuts with 2 cups fresh filtered water until smooth and frothy, about 5 minutes.
- Strain through a piece of cheesecloth, if desired. Combine the walnut cream with kale, pear, banana, yogurt, if using and agave or honey and blend until completely smooth and no large kale bits remain.
- Add the ice as needed to make the smoothie cool, and blend. Adjust to your tastes with added agave and splash of lemon as needed. Serve cool.