The best way to get kids to eat their greens is to put them in a shake or a smoothie. And what better way to start the day than with a shake made with soaked walnuts.
- 2/3 cup raw walnuts
- 2 cups boiling water
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 heaping cup kale, washed, ribs removed and chopped
- 1 ripe, juicy pear, peeled and cored and chilled
- 2 ripe bananas, cut in pieces and frozen
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
- ¼ cup ice, as needed
- Pour boiling water over the walnuts and add a pinch of salt. Let them set at least 2 hours and up to overnight. In the morning, drain the walnuts. Blend the walnuts with 2 cups fresh filtered water until smooth and frothy, about 5 minutes.
- Strain through a cheesecloth, if desired. Combine the walnut cream with kale, pear, banana, yogurt, if using and agave or honey and blend until completely smooth and no large kale bits remain.
- Add the ice as needed to make the smoothie cool, and blend. Adjust to your tastes with added agave and splash of lemon as needed. Serve cool.