Walnuts add a crispy crunch to these cinnamon cookies. They are the perfect gift for any holiday. Why not spice up your Valentine's Day meal by serving these for dessert?
- 1/2 cup California walnuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, used in different parts of the recipe
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Finely grind the walnuts in a food processor with the flour. In a bowl, stir together the walnuts, flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Combine the butter and 3/4 cup of the sugar in the bowl and until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the egg and beat until smooth. Mix in the dry ingredients until combined.
- In a small, shallow bowl, stir together the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. To shape each cookie, using a small spoon or ice cream scoop, scoop up a spoonful of the dough and roll between your palms into a 1-inch ball. As the balls are formed, roll them in the cinnamon sugar, coating evenly, and then place on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart.
- Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. If you are baking more than one sheet at a time, at the midway point, switch the pans between the racks and rotate them 180°F to ensure even baking. Let cool on the pans to room temperature.