A complete breakfast menu with crunchy walnut potatoes and fluffy scrambled eggs.
- 18-20 medium red skinned potatoes
- 4 cups chopped onion
- Nonstick cooking spray, as needed
- Salt to taste
- Pepper, freshly ground to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chopped California walnuts
- 2 1/4 cups chopped green onion
- 6 cups low cholesterol egg substitute
- 6 tablespoons fresh chopped tarragon or parsley
For the Potatoes:
- Grate or cut up potatoes and toss with onion.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, or use a flat-top griddle. Add potato and onion mixture and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Cook onions and potatoes, turning them with a wide spatula about every 4 minutes, until browned and crusty, about 15 minutes total. Potatoes will hold, kept uncovered in cooler part of the grill, for about 45 minutes; turn them occasionally. Toss 1 cup hot potatoes with 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts.
For the Eggs:
- Coat a small skillet with non-tick cooking spray and place over heat. Add 3 tablespoons green onion and cook 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 cup egg substitute, seasoned, if desired, with salt and pepper, and cook until softly set.
- Stir in 1/2 tablespoon chopped tarragon or parsley.
- Serve immediately with walnut potatoes and applesauce.