Chef Jamie Lauren uses Indian spices with fresh cilantro and arugula to bring chickpeas and toasted walnuts to life in this mouthwatering, protein-packed salad!
For the Salad:
- 2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked in 8 cups water overnight*
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup lightly chopped California walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1 small red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 cups wild arugula
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
For the Curry Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain chickpeas of their soaking liquid. Place in a large stockpot and cover with fresh water; stir in bay leaves, garlic, carrot and cinnamon. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours or until chickpeas are tender, seasoning with salt at the end of cooking. Let cool, then drain and measure 4 cups of chickpeas.
- In a small sauté pan, toast curry powder in olive oil until it becomes fragrant.
- Whisk into mayonnaise with cilantro, cayenne pepper and lime juice; season with salt and pepper then stir in chickpeas, currants, red onion and walnuts. Divide arugula between plates and top with equal amounts of chickpeas. Sprinkle each with a little chopped cilantro.
*To quick soak beans, bring to a boil in plenty of water to cover. Boil for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour.